Thank you for your interest in Bluebikes. Bluebikes is Boston's regional bike sharing system that gives members access to more than 2,500+ bikes and over 260+ stations, designed to offer a one-way transportation option, similar to a bus or train.
This kit will provide you with some core statistics of Bluebikes' operations, links to public ridership data, and hi-res, print-ready images.
- Launched on July 28, 2011, with 610 bicycles and 60 stations throughout the City of Boston.
- In the summer of 2012, the system expanded to Brookline, Cambridge and Somerville.
- By the end of 2013, the system footprint covered approximately 20 square miles, and by the end of 2015, 25 square miles.
- In June 2017, the City of Boston announced plans to add more than 70 new stations beginning in 2018. Cambridge, Brookline, and Somerville later announced plans to expand, as well.
- By Fall of 2017, the system grows to 185 stations with 1800 bikes operating in all four municipalities.
- Bluebikes is owned by the governments of the Cities of Boston, Cambridge, and Somerville, and by the Town of Brookline. The Metropolitan Area Planning Council oversees the interaction and use between municipalities.
- Bluebikes is operated by Motivate, which operates some of the largest bike share systems around the world, including New York's Citi Bike, San Francisco’s Bay Area Bike Share, Chicago’s Divvy Bikes, Washington D.C.'s Capital Bikeshare, and Portland's BIKETOWN. Each system has a different operating profile based on the scale.
Membership and Ridership
- More than 8 million trips have been taken by Bluebikes riders since the 2011 launch (as of 12/2018)
- An estimated 87,000 unique riders took trips in 2016
(24-Hr & 72-Hr)
Bluebikes' solar-powered stations consist of a variable number of docks, plus a kiosk that can be used for purchasing a Single Trip or Adventure Pass valid for 24 hours, finding nearby stations, seeing real-time bike availability, and more. Some stations are equipped with key dispensers, and members can select to have new keys mailed to them or to retrieve them directly from a station. There is also a two-sided information panel which displays a map of the service and usage instructions.
Customers can ride without a key using the Bluebikes mobile app. Launched in Summer of 2017, the app allows you to take out bikes, plan routes, and receive push notification updates.
There are stations serving every line of the T, commuter rail and ferry, as well as more than 60 bus routes to accommodate multi-modal trips. Bluebikes employs 4-5 rebalancing vans, each with a payload of 20-25 bikes, are used to redistribute bicycles between 6 am and 10 pm, 7 days a week. Bicycles are redistributed dynamically in response to real-time data.
(beginning / end of season)||BICYCLES
(beginning / end of season)||SEASON
|2011||61||610||July 28||Nov 30||126|
|2012||61 / 105||610 / 1050||Apr 3||Nov 28||240|
|2013||105 / 130||1050 / 1200||Apr 2||Nov 27||240|
|2014||130 / 140||1200 / 1300||Apr 2||Nov 26||239|
|2015||140 / 155||1300 / 1500||Apr 17||Nov 25||223|
|2016||155 / 180||1500 / 1800||Feb 29||Dec 31||307|
|2017||180 / 190||1800||Feb 27||Dec 31||308|
|2018||190 / 260+ ||1800 /2500+||Year-round||Year-round||---|
*Prior to 2017, Bluebikes was fully operational in Cambridge throughout the winter. For the 2017-18 winter, Bluebikes was fully operational in all four municipalities. Some on-street locations were relocated or removed due to safety and snow removal. Approximately 100 new station locations are expected in the 2018/19 expansion.
Most Popular Stations
|STATION||MUNICIPALITY||TOTAL STATION VISITS IN 2017|
|MIT at Mass Ave / Amherst St||Cambridge||86,199
|MIT Stata Center at Vassar St / Main St||Cambridge||58,811|
|South Station - 700 Atlantic Ave||Boston||55,440
|Central Square at Mass Ave / Essex St||Cambridge||53,542
|Harvard Square at Mass Ave / Dunster||Cambridge||46,190
|Nashua Street at Red Auerbach Way||Boston||45,091
|Beacon St at Massachusetts Ave||Boston||40,968
|Copley Square - Dartmouth St at Boylston St||Boston||40,314
|MIT Vassar St||Cambridge||40,189|
Rider Trip Records
|Daily||9,974||September 29th, 2018|
Additional Tools & Resources
Please direct all media inquiries and requests to firstname.lastname@example.org.